Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Larry Johnson signs contract extension

Yes, the holdout is finally over. LJ's holdout is finally over. I'm a little surprised at how low his guaranteed money is however. Around $19 million guaranteed. Ok, so $19 million isn't exactly a low number, but I thought he was holding out for around $28 million? I could be wrong on that, but that was the impression I had.

And that seems, to me, to be a fairly low deal. If LJ was holding out this long, I would expect the contract to be a little bit higher than that. So what happened?

Apparently, Chiefs President and General Manager Carl Peterson called Johnson Monday night and spoke with him privately...no annoying agents to get in the way. Less than 24 hours later LJ is practicing with the team. That's going to be an interesting conversation the next time Johnson and his agent talks.

Johnson showed up to practice Tuesday completely unannounced. He took his teammates by surprise by showing up 45 minutes after they had already started. Cheers erupted and players started chanting his name.

Except for Priest Holmes, who was probably packing his suit case.

No comments: