Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Culpepper signs with Raiders

Daunte Culpepper has signed a one year deal with the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders sent a rep to Florida Monday to work with Culpepper, and then flew Culpepper back to California for a private workout in front of Raiders coaches and scouts.

"We had to see him run around, scramble and do different things because his arm didn't go away,'' [Raider's coach Lane] Kiffin said. "We weren't really worried about that. We had to make sure everything else was good.''

This is a huge improvement for the Raiders, but is it a good place for Culpepper. According to him, Oakland was the best fit.
"When I became a free agent I created and ranked eight criteria that I used to evaluate potential teams that were interested in my services,'' Culpepper said. "Based on my criteria, the Oakland Raiders are the best fit.''

"I also get an opportunity to show both the Raiders and the NFL community that I am healthy and back to form after battling injuries the last two seasons,'' Culpepper said. "Most importantly, I appreciated that there was mutual respect as we worked through the process of coming to contract terms.''

First overall pick JaMarcus Russell has yet to sign a contract, and it has been acknowledged by the Raiders that part of the reason they signed Culpepper was because of the situation with Russell.

No comments: