Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Steelers Sign Kevan Barlow to 1-year Deal

According to ESPN.com, the Steelers have signed Kevan Barlow to a 1-year deal. Currently it's not known how much Barlow will be paid, but assuming it's not a large amount, this is a good deal for the Steelers, in my opinion. I thought that they should have drafted a running back to add some depth to the group, but they passed on all the running backs in the draft.

He's not going to come in and start, but he will give Willie Parker some rest, add some much needed power running to the team, and more importantly challenge Najeh Davenport for playing time. Even if Barlow doesn't perform well on the field, the added rest for Parker, and motivation for Davenport could be worth it.

2 comments:

Pollard said...

I like this a lot. He is a power runner, and I think he'll beat out Najeh, and better yet, this will be the Dump Truck's last year with the team. I think that depending on how Verron Haynes' rehab is going, he'll get rs-signed as well and John Kuhn will go back to the PS.

Craig said...

I pretty much have to agree here. Barlow is a banger. I'm not surprised the Jets dropped him. They are about to run a Thomas Jones/Leon Washington train on their division.

Barlow should be good for those 2-3 tough yards, North-South.