Thursday, May 3, 2007

AFC East Draft Analysis

Mel Kiper, I am not, therefore I cannot even begin to go into the depth and breadth of the NFL draft as he does. Instead, I will take a new approach. Teams will not receive an A, B, C-, D+, etc... As many of you (I know there aren’t actually many) know, I went to school for creative writing. In that, I should know how to write, though I fail often. Whatever. The point is, I’m going to use adjectives and hopefully awesome ones to describe the different grades and draft successes/failures. Enjoy. Or don’t. Mike hasn’t told me whether I’m allowed to curse or not, so I won’t, but know that I would’ve right there.

The 2007 NFL Draft Question:

What camp do you come from? Fill your most important need OR pick up the best player available?

AFC East

Buffalo Bills – Majestic
The Bills filled a hole with Marshawn Lynch, but many are saying this was too high to draft him. I say otherwise. Lynch was probably the second best RB available and the Bills need one, now that McGahee is off to Baltimore. In the second round, the Bills scooped up Penn State LB Pozlusky (incorrect spelling on purpose). His last name will never be spelled right or pronounced correctly on THIS show. Hubris is awesome. In all seriousness, Posluszny was great in college and can add immediate impact. Follow that with star QB Trent Edwards from Stanford and another RB, Dwayne Wright from Fresno and the Bills didn’t fair too poorly. Downside? Line, line, line. Protect poor J.P. Maybe they’ll do a free agent thing.

Miami Dolphins – Ridiculous
How do you pass on Brady Quinn when you have QB needs? There are many answers to this question and NONE of them are Ted Ginn, Jr. Teddy is a fine player with speed, jumps, and hands but taking him #9 when a QB is absolutely necessary is downright idiotic. The Dolphins haven’t had a franchise 10-year QB since Marino. Don’t you think the fans deserve that, Cam Cameron? No, you don’t. You think they deserve an injured punt returner and John Beck. Even if Beck is awesome, he will forever be compared to Quinn and at the very least, Quinn would’ve sold more jerseys. The NFL is about money, but sometimes the business aspect seems lost. Miami isn’t going to win the title in 2007, so why not draft the guy that gets tickets sold, jerseys sold, and could be your guy for 10 years? On a lighter note, they did add speedy Lorenzo Booker out of FSU. I’ve seen the guy play live and if he plays East-West for Miami like he did for FSU, they’ll surely average 1.3 yards per carry on the season. Yes!

New England Patriots – Masterful
Bill, Bill, Bill. You damn genius. First, Tom Brady might be the most unselfish sports star in the history of the NFL. He takes LESS money for years in hopes of a better supporting cast. Finally, Kraft and Billy Brains get together and do it for him. They had the best Free Agent grabs for WRs and improved everything for themselves in the draft. They went defense with crazy safety, Meriweather (yes, the stomper), D-line Kareem Brown and LB Justin Rogers (who?). The bottom line for the Patriots was that Billy did some fancy trading and ended up with 8 first round picks in 2008. Seriously. Ok, so maybe he only has 2, but still. Easy 2008 Superbowl front-runner. Easy.

New York Jets – Disappointing
We all know that the Jets LOVE disappointing the fans, so this draft is no different. By the end of it, they only drafted 4 players (Dan Snyder-ish pathetic) and had to trade up to get the CB they wanted. He better be good, too, because they lost some later picks to get Darrelle Revis from Pitt. I heard Kiper say he wasn’t even the best CB, but Kiper bounces around on guys abilities like a crack baby with Pop Rocks. The Jets did get David Harris, the ILB from Michigan. This was a decent pick mid-way through the second round. Their other two guys, Bender and Stuckey, mean nothing to me right now. I’ve never heard of them and hope (for my father’s sake – he’s a fan of the J’s) that they go Colston all over the place.


More to come, folks. Mike suggested that I break up the posts into divisions (which is a fantastic idea), so I'm doing that.

Let us know what you think. Leave a comment or email us at
4thand goalshow@gmail.com.

8 comments:

Coral Snake said...

I have to agree with you Craig, Bill did do a masterful job. After his defeat to the Colts, the team that he has defeated so many times in the post season. He felt he probably did some dealing away of some key player at the wrong time, and felt stupid for it. So this year it is all about redemption for Bill and the Patriots. He has created a team that will in my opinion go undefeated. When you have an experienced team like this, there should be no team could possibly stand in there way. Unless Randy Moss started to pull his usual bullshit of not caring about the game. As for the other teams in the AFC east. Miami dumbshits, I take poos on your draft choice. The Jets, just so poor, you had a decent team last year, and Im being nice, but you could have done better. The Bills you may need to pick up some extra QB's cause yours are goin to be hurting.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by: Coral Snake

Peace

Craig said...

Ah, and this is why we love you, gentle Coral Snake. This is why I await your first round draft pick in our fantasy draft. We, at 4th and Goal, value you. Know that. Jokes aside (and there will be many).

We're going to pencil in your prediction here, though. Pats going 16-0. Mike, get on that. Put it up on the board. Right next to Alge Crumpler as a #1 pick in a fantasy league.

I kid. You're right, though. Miami dropped the ball, The Jets enjoy letting the fans down, and the Bills did OK, but J.P. Loserman needs to put up or be a forever backup this season.

Coral Snake said...

If the Pats are to loose there are only 2 teams that can do that and would be Miami and the Colts. Miami always beats them at home, at least for the past 2 or 3 years they have. As for the Colts they are on the up and with this series. But this season we will see.

And I am getting prepared for Fantasy this year.

Anonymous said...

Even though I wasn't mentioned as a valued contributor to this blog, I do still want to put my two sense in for whatever it is worth. :). I could not help but watch the draft this weekend since ESPN was the only thing on our living room TV for two days. I had never watched the draft before and I actually found it quite intriguing. Now, my knowledge on football is obviously quite sparce, but I enjoyed the storylines and watching the top 5 picks wait it out and get excited when they were called, and I enjoyed all the family interaction. And then of course, there was the whole Brady Quinn saga. I, like everyone else, felt bad for him and I decided to continue watching the draft until he was picked. Four hours later, when he was drafted to the Browns, I was actually happy for him. At least he is going to a team that he wanted to go to in the first place. For less money than he would have gotten if drafted earlier yes, but it's not all about the money. It was a lifelong dream for him to play for Cleveland, and if he makes the cut, he'll get to experience that. Good for him I say. The other thing I learned from watching the NFL draft was exactly how popular the event is. I never realized the extent of the viewership that it receives.

And for the girl's perspective on all this sport's talk, this is Anne signing out....

Craig said...

Thanks, ebunny 18! What the hell is that? ebunny? Is that your gmail? Anyway, your two cents (two sense) are valuable in this case, offering a female perspective of a great event. I apologize for slighting you and will rectify the situation now.

To all who care to read, Anne (apparently ebunny18) is a valued friend and member of the 4th and Goal society. She's pretty much a premier member of the club. 1st tier all the way.

There. Slight negated.

Omega_Squad said...

Oh God...why do you punish my dolphins???

You know I am not even that upset that they didn't take Brady...I was at the time, but now that the smoke has cleared I am ok with it. However, what I am no where near ok with is the Fins drafting a hurt wide recive...oh wait thats right almost forgot..Cam said they were excited about his punt return skills....As the 9th pick in the draft. I mean I am going to continue to pray these idiots didn't just draft him to return punts, but come on! he clearly could have been picked up later in the first if not the second round..remember he is still busted up from his celebration endzone dance(who won that game by the way?)

Now what I would have done (if I didn't want Brady), is traded that 9th pick, for a later first round pick, and picked up olsen @ the TE Position all the while picking up another pick in the second round to help enhance the O-line...But I don't sniff glue all day long So I guess my idea has no merrit..

As for the rest of the AFC East...unless New England breaks many bones...I put them in the Superbowl..The jets will probably be 2nd with Miami behind them (sorry bills fans)

Mike Thomas said...

Sorry, the Bills will be better than Miami this year. The Bills are a team on the rise, Miami is a team that at best is staying at the same level, if not on the slide. The only questions for the Bills really are will Losman continue to grow as a player, and how will the loss of McGahee affect the team.

Pollard said...

The Miami Dolphins made the biggest blunder of the draft. They must know something about Brady Quinn that we all don't, because with a glaring need at QB, (Pepper's not their guy, apparently) and bigger needs elsewhere, to take a receiver with one of the worst injuries for a receiver in the TOP TEN was ludicrous. I can't even fathom why that decision was made. The Dolphins are on a downward trend, and Cam needs to get his shit together.

The Bills had the best draft pick-wise, but the Pats got the best value out of their picks with the acquisition of Moss. As a Steeler fan, I want nothing more than to see Moss be who we all know he is, a cancer. But Belichick did things with Cory Dillon, who was a problem before coming to New England, and things look good for Randy with a championship caliber team.