Friday, May 25, 2007

In My Defense...

It's no lie that my recent movie preferences are pretty opposite from Craig's. But, to blatantly lie about how I feel about certain movies is insulting.

First, I never recommended Devil Wears Prada. At most I said it was not bad and had a few good moments, which surprised me. But even so the only reason I saw this in the theatre is because of a trade I made with Nicole. We saw this movie, and then went to the midnight showing of Superman Returns.

Second, I never said I didn't want to see 300. I just wasn't foaming at the mouth to go see it like you were. I'm sure it's a great movie, and I will see it on DVD, now that it's out of the theatre. But I never read the comic book, and the trailers didn't excite me to the point of hysterics like most other people.

Third, I did enjoy Spiderman 3, even though on the whole I felt the movie was poorly done. Most of my criticisms on the movie were what it could have been, and damn it, should have been. But as a fan of the comic book, and reading them my entire life, it never gets old seeing that character on screen. I wish I could go back and just re-write the end of the movie. Keep the black suit on Spiderman and let him use the power to defeat the Sandman. Then after Spiderman almost kills him, end the movie with him getting the suit off of him in the church tower and a scene where we see Peter back to normal and the red and blue suit swinging through the city. Then, at the end of the credits, flash back to the church. We see Eddie praying to kill Peter Parker, and hear the screams coming from the tower. The symbiote comes down and merges with Eddie. Then the priest comes in, horrified, and whispers, "what are you?" Venom's face is revealed from the darkness and he says, "We are Venom." End of movie.

And my criticisms of Pirates 3 are valid. I readily admit that I'm not a giant fan of the franchise, but I have enjoyed both movies. The first one was ok, and I actually enjoyed the second one more. They both had the perfect mix of great characters, comedy, and goofy action. To me, the plot was irrelevant and boring. This movie is different though. The only word to describe this movie is epic. The story is huge, and has a ton of twists and turns. So much so that it felt like the characters took a back seat to a lot of it, which is unfortunate to me because it added a lot more of what I don't like and took out what I did like. And I felt every single minute of the 168 minutes that is Pirates 3. The worst part is that I don't know how they could cut down the story at all, because every scene is important to the story.

I have no doubt that people that absolutely love the Pirates franchise, i.e. Craig, will think this is the greatest movie. But to me, the movie was just ok. Certainly not bad. This movie did a lot of things right, and could have crossed the line into being really bad several times, but they don't. Definitely see this film if you have any interest.

2 comments:

Pollard said...

Blizam!!!

Craig said...

Blizam nothing.

For those of you who care, please listen to the May 28th episode of 4th and Goal.

Mike T is verbally dismantled regarding DVDs, movies, choosing them, etc...

Now, he also takes care of editing for the show so if that part is missing, we'll know why.