Wednesday, May 9, 2007

NHL Playoffs

The NHL playoffs are heating up, and we're down to just four teams left. The Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres square off in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals. This should be a great series. Buffalo was consistently one of the best teams in the entire league, and by far the best in the East. But Ottawa has come alive in the playoffs and has easily beat the Penguins and Devils to advance. If you get a chance to watch any of the games, do so. Unfortunately it's looking like Versus is carrying all of the games so far, but I think their coverage is actually getting better, so it will still be fun to watch. Their first game is tomorrow at 7:00pm EST.

The Western Conference Finals has a surprising match-up of with the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks. Detroit has been a great team all year, but stumbled a little bit early on against the Sharks. If they can continue to get good play from Hasek, then they should advance fairly easy. But, if Anaheim can keep the pressure on the Red Wings, they can make this series very interesting.

It should be fun to watch. My predictions: Detroit in 6 and Ottawa in 7.

4 comments:

Craig said...

I just can't get into the NHL right now. I don't even know why. I respect the athletes and KNOW the action is fantastic. Of course, I will watch the Stanley Cup Finals because as a true sports fan, one has to watch all championship bearing events. At least, I try to.

NBA Playoff basketball has all of my attention. I'm following the Warriors, the Cavs, the Spurs/Suns saga. There is a lot going on.

I'm not saying that basketball is better than hockey, but I am saying that watching basketball in HD is better than hockey on Versus. But, I've become an telivision elitist.

Mike Thomas said...

You're only hurting yourself. There have been fantastic games this entire post season. Even though they are low scoring games, there have been a ton of great scoring chances, and the goalies are standing on their heads trying to keep the puck off the net.

If nothing else, you should watch the Ottawa vs. Buffalo game tomorrow night. All it would take is one good scoring chance and I think you'll forget that it's not in HD.

Pollard said...

If I can watch the damn sport, anyone can. I watched the Pens for a while near the end of the season, and got into it pretty good. I have NEVER watched hockey, but I learned a lot about the sport and I can stomach the games. I am too into the NBA Playoffs right now, and not nearly interested enough in hockey, but I actually like the sport, and that is a MASSIVE step in the right direction for me.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is go Golden State Warriors!

And I enjoy watching hockey in person. I had a bunch of fun watching the Panthers a couple months ago.